For some of my recipes I will need to use mayonnaise or “mayo” as a base for sauces or as one of the key ingredients. You are more than welcome to use store-bought mayonnaise, but after you try making some from scratch it tastes TEN TIMES better. It’s also super simple. Ingredients and Directions below.
- 1 cup of olive oil (if you don’t have olive oil you can use 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 egg*
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or put all ingredients in a bowl and use a hand blender. Blend at medium speed until ingredients are nice and creamy.
- Make sure to store mayonnaise in a tightly covered container (mason jars work great!) in the refrigerator. Can be stored up to 5 days after making.
*Please note that since you are using a raw egg, a pasteurized egg is best. Otherwise make sure to let your egg sit in warm water for about 10 minutes before cracking it open.