I have found in cooking, there has to be a balance of eating healthy and indulging.
I have noticed this more so when it comes to cooking vegetables or side dishes. For instance, now that I am older one of my favorites things to eat are brussel sprouts, which is funny because as a kid I could not stand eating them. When I want to be healthy I usually steam them or bake them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. To me they taste amazing this way, but I decide to get creative with them the last few dinners and have come up with an amazing combination of sweet and salty. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do!
- 1-1 1/2 pounds of brussel sprouts
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of blackberry balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Slice brussel sprouts in half and place in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle the garlic powder and black pepper.
- Mix well to make sure brussel sprouts are evenly coated in olive oil mixture.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet covered in Reynolds wrap and bake for 20 minutes.
- While brussel sprouts are baking, cook the bacon in a small frying pan. Make sure the bacon is nice and crisp, but not burnt.
- Once bacon is done cooking, remove from frying pan and remove excess grease from bacon with a paper towel.
- Remove brussel sprouts from oven and return to mixing bowl.
- Add butter, sugar, and balsamic vinegar, stir well.
- Place brussel sprouts in serving dish and sprinkle with bacon.